Elder

Elder

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Week One in this Wonderful New World!

July 27, 2016

HELLO ALL YOU WONDERFUL PEOPLE!!!

 I am SO happy I get to email home, and thanks for all the emails! I will try my best to answer them soon :)

      Hmm... Where to start... I guess I will start with the airplane ride here. Once we left our families, me and Elder Myers found our flight entrance almost immediately, mainly due to the literally 40 missionaries waiting to board the plane! XD It was great! We met a bunch of people and talked until our flight left. About halfway through the flight, Elder Myers asked if the missionary next to him would switch seats with me (since he was pretty much just sleeping). So that was good! Plus I got a window seat, so I got to see Mexico City as I landed
     
 Speaking of which, Mexico City is pretty insane! From above and below the entire city looks like some sort of children's painting, with all the colors you can imagine on buildings mixed together throughout the city! When we drove to the MTC, all of us missionaries got a nice bit of culture shock. All of the buildings are built next to and on top of each other, and all of them are in a state of disrepair to some degree. And the roads are ridiculous! All of the people expect each other to just merge when ever, counting on whoever is coming to stop dead in their tracks! Riding in a bus was pretty sketchy, but don't worry mom, before you have a heart attack, the MTC drivers are easily the most cautious on the road! They get us around safely :) Plus, we only go on the roads 5 times here, twice for airports and three times for temple
     
It took about twenty minutes to get to the MTC, which I immediately found out was actually called the Centro de Capacitacion Misional Mexico, or the CCM (pronounced say say em-ay). I later found out that it was originally a college, but because of the influx of missionaries, the church bought and turned it into an MTC!
    
 After a warm welcome from missionaries and getting through orientation and such (during which I got to play a piano for like five minutes to see if I could play a hymn the next day :D), I was off to find my room and companion. Me and my district are lucky enough to get houses (some have apartments). I ran into my companion when I walked in. His name is Elder Harrast, and he is a solid guy! He is actually surprisingly similar to me in a lot of ways
     
 In my little farewell post on Instagram, I said I was going on an adventure to a new world. I had no idea then how accurate that description was! After a devotional Tuesday night, my district (5c) and I were thrown headlong into spanish and lessons! When we met our instructors, they immediately started talking to us in Spanish and haven't stopped! Of course, they understand English, and will use it if we really aren't getting what they are saying, but it was still pretty crazy!
     
 That first day was literally the longest day of my life. Other than meals, everything was orientation, spanish and the Gospel all day! It got better as the days went on, since we started getting gym time for an hour each day and some study time where we could slow down a little bit. All of the missionaries kept telling us "just make it till Sunday"! We heard it so much, it became a joke, and we do not even agree with it. After the first two days, life is pretty good!
     
  The food here is actually pretty quality! They usually have two entrees, one Mexican and one English, so if the missionaries are picky (like me), we can usually find something we like. Plus they have sandwiches with peanut butter jelly and nutella every meal!
       
The weather here is fantastic! It rains at least every other day, and it never gets above like 85 degrees or below 65! It is like a little slice of paradise in the middle of Mexico City
       
I have felt the spirit so much here. Everyone is so united in purpose, it is easy to make friends, and I feel like I have known all of these people for months! My district is straight up the best! I room with my companion, and then Elder Taylor and Elder Vallinga, the second of which is the District Leader. It is pretty awesome! :D
      
 I am about out of time, but I will send more next week! Just know that I love it here, I love you all, and I can literally feel your prayers pushing onward and comforting me! I have gained such a strong testimony of prayer, thank you for all you do!
      
 Til next week
           
 Elder Poulson


A few bits of info from emailing back and forth with Bryan…..

Umm a quick summary of the answers to your questions! I see Elder Myers (Landon) all the time, we always talk when we see each other. The food is pretty good, but packages are always nice ;) I got pictures, but no letter yet, they get behind in the post office a lot. I am sleeping pretty well thanks to melatonin. My teachers are LITERALLY THE BEST! I love them! They are such wonderful people!

I am actually not very homesick at all! God said he would take care of yall, and I believed him, so I am not really worried, that is good!


Arriving at the MTC with Elder Myers


Breakfast at the MTC (nice chewing picture Bry :)


Elder Poulson's District 


Elder Poulson and his companion Elder Harrast



2 comments:

  1. How fun it's going to be to follow this young man. He is simply amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun it's going to be to follow this young man. He is simply amazing!

    ReplyDelete