Elder

Elder

Monday, September 12, 2016

Straight Outta the Factory

Hola Familia y Amigos! How are you all? I guess that is a hypothetical question, but I hope ya'll are doing great!

Alright so this week... 

Well, I'll talk a little about our investigators. We have been teaching Demasio and Petra, the cute couple with little kids that I mentioned last week. They took the first lesson, but we haven't been able to get ahold of them since. We'll keep trying though! Our other main investigator is this gruff old man named Ismael. He is currently having some struggles, so he isn't super receptive to our lessons, but we will keep trying with him too.

Other than that, we pretty much just visit houses of past investigators listed in the area book and try to talk to as many people as we can on the street. That last part is particularly hard for me, because while I love talking to people, it is way different when they are strangers, you are an awkward missionary, and there is a good 50% chance that you won't understand their response. But it is still kinda fun! I am learning that if I just boldly do what God has asked me to, essentially talking to everyone, he will make it all work out for good. That is essentially what having faith means, right: trusting God to make everything work out :)

Every time I tell a member that I am from Utah, they say "oh, de la fabrica?" which translates to "oh, from the factory?" Essentially they call Utah the missionary factory. Which is kinda funny, but it got old after the tenth person. One person said "wait really, a white missionary from Utah! I have never met one of those before!" Basically, Hispanics are ridiculously sarcastic. But esta bien, it is funny!

There are a lot of Jehovah's Witnesses around here, which is... Fun. There was one guy that followed us on his bike for a couple minutes shouting about how Jesus said his skin turned brown in the sun, so we shouldn't be racist... Yeah. There is also a lot of mentally unstable people in this certain neighborhood. One guy spent ten minutes telling us about how if the member with us carried this little trinket he gave her and walked her kids by the ocean, they would have blue eyes XD Yeah that was a bit weird. We try to be courteous to everyone though.

The culture here is interesting. The people REALLY like to talk, although not necessarily about the Gospel. They will talk all day though. Also, it is generally accepted here that everyone will be fifteen minutes late to everything (not that I am complaining). So the missionaries don't really worry about being on time to stuff. Personally, I think we should be on time anyways, but I'm not driving, so I don't have much say in the matter... Plus I am not always ready on time, as I am sure you are all SO surprised to hear.

So Thursday night, we were trying to visit members but weren't having any luck. My companion really needed to use the bathroom, so I suggested we pray that someone would let us in. After we did that and walked around for five minutes, we went back to our bikes, and I felt like we should knock on a door right next to them. We did, and some Cambodian lady answered. Quick tangent: Long Beach has the biggest population of Cambodians in America. There are six Cai speaking Elders here. Anyways, this lady answered, and she spoke no English. But we looked inside, and to our surprise, two Cambodian Elders were already inside! :D So of course, they let us in, and my comp used the bathroom and we left. As awkward as interrupting their lesson was, it was still an answer to our prayer: someone let us in. So that was cool!

Yeah that is about all this week. Let me leave you with this thought: the Bible talks about how we may be the Children of Light! John 12:36 "While ye have light, believe in the light, that ye may be the children of light." I thought that was a really cool phrase! Be worthy of that title!

K bye,


Elder Poulson

fyi: Bryan lost his camera cord and we had to ship him a replacement, so no pictures this week!  :(

No comments:

Post a Comment