Elder

Elder

Monday, November 14, 2016

It's Not Beginning to Look Anything Like Christmas

Que pasa mi familia and amigos!!! How is you all!? I hope you're doing good and are happy... And if not, The Gospel can help you with that ;)

So backstory for the title. We were doing our wash this morning at a washer place next to our apartment, and the two songs that played were "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas" and "There is no place like Home for the Holidays"... It is still 70 degrees here, and that second song was just a nice little dagger to the heart! One of the lines basically said "you won't be happy on the holidays without your family"... Basically, Long Beach radio hates me ;) Haha naw it was actually kinda funny ^-^

Goof of the week: I went on exchanges with my District Leader, Elder Cruz, who is a Honduran that learned English on the mission. He has a really strong accent and is military in a lot of aspects, but he is really cool and helped me a lot. Anyways, after exchanges, we were chilling in our apartment after 10, and we get a call from an unknown number. I answer it, and a thick Spanish accent starts shouting at me about how I took something. After three tries, I finally understood: I took their phone... XD So we had to bike to the church the next morning to give it to them... That was lame. Funny, but lame.

The day of that exchange, Saturday, the city of Long Beach did this cool thing to promote health. They closed down Anaheim St., a main road that goes through the middle of the city, and encouraged everyone to ride their bikes on the road that day and everywhere! There was music and games and a WHOLE lot of people riding bikes!!! It was really cool, and paradise for contacting people about the Gospel!

The exchange itself was awesome though! We had people to teach pretty much all day, and I invited someone to be baptized, who accepted :) That felt really good Spiritually.

We have dinner with the Varela family 2 to 3 times a week! They are very generous :) Their 3 daughters are the ones I keep sending pictures of. Anyways, did the little referral family home evening thing we did with the Franco family about a month ago, and it worked almost as well! We ended up with 10 member referrals. That is A LOT, in case you were wondering. Most people struggle to get one a week. So that was cool.

Quote of the week, by one of the Varela girls: "I am going to be a princess, and you are going to marry me, and you will be the queen!" -Yumi XD Those girls are SO energetic! They made me shake all of their heads instead of their hands before I left last time! Also, Yumi made her own "chair" (a piece of cardboard) and insists only sitting in that chair. If you sit by her, she reads you a Dr Seuss book she has, except instead of reading it, she just decides what is happening and tells you. It is different every time. She is adorable :)

We found 8 new investigators this week, for of which we found yesterday!!! It was so cool! We found Alejo and Gama, who were in our area book. They have never answered their door, but this time the son Gama let us in. They seemed sincerely interested, and we taught them a lot. We are going to challenge them to baptism next week.

The coolest thing that happened today, was that we got in contact with the parents of Israel, a 16 year old kid we met like a month ago. Israel is high functioning autistic, so he mostly acts like a normal kid, but he struggles with making conversation and getting "bored". Bored, to Israel, can mean anything from tired to hungry. He is very friendly though, he rode up to us and started talking when we first met him! Anyways, his dad, a red neck named Russell, investigated the church around when I was born. We cleared up some misconceptions that had kept him from joining. His wife, Digna, is a Honduran who is probably one of the most humble people I have met here. She asked for a copy of the Book of Mormon to read, and is excited to read it! My only regret is that I didn't challenge them to baptism... They are prepared of God. But the best part was that we stopped by them because I felt prompted to. It gave me confidence that I do in fact know what the Spirit feels like :) So that was a huge blessing.

So now that I have written a novel for an email, I am out of things to say, except I love you all, and hope you are all happy!!! Have a good week. Follow God's commandments: he knows better than us, and knows what we should do to be ultimately be happy. TRUST HIM! :) 

Until next p day,

Elder Poulson












No comments:

Post a Comment