Elder

Elder

Monday, February 27, 2017

I Basically Know Shakira

Greetings family and friends! Alright, that just sounded weird... I just didn't want to say "Hello" again, like every other email I have ever sent ever ;) But I hope you are all doing fantastic! :D

In case you were wondering, if you ever live in an area with a lot of Hispanics, there is chile and/or limon (lime) in EVERYTHING! In chips, on fruit, on cakes, in pop tarts, everwhere! So that is pretty weird! All the members try to make me eat spicy stuff because they want to see my face turn red... But I ate something spicy yesterday, and they were all watching, and I didn't even flinch! So I am getting used to it! Ha!

Anyways, this week was really good! Something awesome is that we basically got handed two golden investigators to teach! Javier (13) and Charlie (11) are the kids of a less active family that just moved here from Colombia. They are currently living with some active members (the dad's sister), and as a result they have started coming to church again! So they asked us to teach their kids ^-^ So they will almost certainly get baptized, which is awesome! Also, the mom of the kids just so happens to know Shakira, because they are from the same city. So I know someone that knows Shakira! Pretty crazy I guess ;)

For the last 6 weeks, I have taken to just saying random inspiring quotes or stuff I made up out loud as I am walking around the apartment. My companion gets confused, which I think is hilarious! Anyways, some of the other missionaries were like, "Elder Poulson, where does all of this stuff come from!?" and I just kinda said "I'm not really sure..." I guess I just remember quotes really well. It definitely doesn't translate to memorizing spanish words, let me tell ya!

Alfonzo is still progressing really well! His friend wanted to sleepover with him and hangout on Sunday, but he told him no because he wanted to go to church! Anyways, it is still a bit of a struggle to get him to remember things, but he is working hard at it. He should get baptized on the 11th, which is SO cool!

So... I was supposed to sing on Sunday for ward conference. Bishop called and asked me to sing with his daughter, and it was kinda stressful but kinda fun too! And then he told us to go up to practice it right before sacrament meeting, and so we did it quietly by the piano. But it turns out he actually wanted us to do a prelude for the meeting, like at the pulpit, when we were just practicing! So I didn't end up singing... Esta bien though, it was fun :)

Something I have been thinking about a lot recently is how we can best learn. I realized that the key really is just to listen to your leaders. I mean, that seems like a no brainer, but think about it. We have things like the scriptures, and the words of the living prophet and apostles, and preach my gospel, and all of these helps written by leaders and great men and women of God, for what? So that we can take their word for it, instead of having to go out and make mistakes ourselves. There hasn't been one instance where I applied the teachings of my leaders and found them to be wrong. But there have been many times where I have failed to apply their teachings, just to find out very quickly that they were right. If we can learn to apply these things early on, we will be able to reach so much farther than we ever could by our own knowledge and experience.

The other thing that has really been spinning around in my head is the words of Jeffrey R. Holland in a talk called "Feed My Sheep" given in the MTC a while back. Apparently it was a precursor to a talk given in General Conference. Anyways, he says, in a nutshell, that the moment that Peter the fisherman became Peter the great and noble and powerful apostle was when the Savior asked him the same question three times: Do you love me? And on the third time, what is Christ's response? The FEED MY SHEEP. I would take that to mean, if you love me, love others. And the best way to do that is to give them the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Inherent in this invitation is the implication that we need to give our will to God. It is God's will that we share the gospel, and serve those around us. And as another talk has taught me, the ultimate goal of a mission and, really, a life, is to learn to not only completely give your will to God, but to reach the point where you want to do what he asks. Not just do it by obligation or duty, but because you truly want to. It is a hefty task, but it is possible. It starts in the head, and ends in the heart.

So yeah, that is the crazy stuff I have been pondering. I hope it helps ya'll out in some way! :) Until next week, hasta luego! Also, I challenge you to high five someone right now! Do it! Haha k bye.


Elder Poulson

Bry admitted this weeks pics are kinda lame.  Promised better ones next week with him actually in them.  We are sending a new camera off today!!




No comments:

Post a Comment