Elder

Elder

Monday, April 3, 2017

Sleep is for the Weak

Good morning family and friends and such! I'm checking in from a very uncharacteristically cloudy California, so that is fun!

This week was pretty good! Elder Ramirez is my new companion, and he is quite the character. He is from Argentina but grew up in Virginia. He is very observant and bold, which are two things I am definitely NOT, so I am hoping to learn those things from him. Within the first week, he has told me "I do what I want, when I want, how I want" at least twenty times, but he is totally full of it ;) He likes to mess with me, but most people do, so that is nothing new.

The first few days of this week were remarkably successful, but for some reason, my mind just decided to stop working on Friday. We made about 10 u-turns, I almost ran 2 red lights, and I couldn't really speak Spanish. By the time we got home for dinner, my companion just made me take a nap. After that I was better. But yeah, that was an adventure!!! :D

April fools day was fun! Well at least for my companion. He rigged the sink so that when I turned it on, the little sprayer thing shot right onto my pants... It was pretty funny ^-^ I tried to get revenge by putting ceran wrap on the door, but it was a pathetic attempt and he avoided it without trying :P I guess I'm just not set out to be a prankster for life. But I can live with that!

Let me tell ya, General Conference is just FANTASTIC! I went into it this time with a list of questions, things that I wanted to work on or that had I have been struggling with. I found answers to almost all of my questions! :D And I am sure I will find even more when I go back and watch the Sunday sessions in English. (Straight Spanish for 4 hours is terribly difficult to comprehend) But really, I was blown away with all of the inspiration that I received during conference. We really are blessed to have a prophet and apostles to guide us today, because I am more and more thoroughly convinced that I would be terribly lost without that guidance.

By my count, the common themes in this conference were the Plan of Salvation and building more faith in Jesus Christ. I always pay specific attention to common themes, because none of the speakers talk with each other and decide on a theme. They just prepare whatever the Spirit guides them to prepare, and when they show up, they find that they all have common themes. I believe that the scripture "God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth on Him might not perish, but have everlasting life" at least three times. I truly believe that if we consistently look up to Christ, and stretch out spiritually to Him, we will grow in capacity and joy in ways we could never imagine.

Yesterday, there were ten minutes left until 9, and we had yet to find any new investigators for the week. We were about to leave, but then decided to go back and try a couple more doors. We tried by a potential investigator we had recorded, and to our surprise, they let us in! My point in sharing this is that I truly believe that God always pushes us to our limits, or lets us get a little desperate, before he helps us. "...for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith." Meaning, don't expect God to bless you until you act despite a bit of uncertainty.

Well that's all that I have for this week. I love you all! Don't forget to apply something from General Conference. Let the Spirit guide. K bye!


Elder Poulson

Elder Poulson & his new companion Elder Ramirez


No comments:

Post a Comment