Elder

Elder

Monday, June 26, 2017

Welcome (back) to Long Beach

Hello familia and amigos!!! This is your friendly neighborhood missionary, emailing from a random library in Compton, because libraries in Long Beach are closed on Mondays :P That being said, life is good! I am back to perusing the streets of Long Beach, just on the other side this time, and in a car. Our area covers the ENTIRE downtown Long Beach. It is HUGE! It is bigger than my last zone, actually. We have the Pike, the Queen Mary, and about everything else that makes Long Beach famous. So that is kind of exciting!

My new companion, Elder Lee, is pretty great. He reminds me of one of my best friends from home, so that is always good. We have a similar sense of humor, so being myself is not a challenge here ^-^

We have a LOT of good investigators here. I haven't quite met all of them yet, because unfortunately, Elder Lee was sick when I got here, and it turns out he has the flu! Yay... So doctors orders, we had to stay inside all night Tuesday and all day Wednesday :( In case you were wondering, that is literally the worst thing you could do to a missionary. What are we supposed to do!? Literally our entire job deals with talking to people! Plus everything you would normally do if you were stuck inside is ruled out. Your options are study, sleep, or watch a handful of church approved movies on a small DVD player. So that was interesting.

Let me tell ya, there are some crazy people in Long Beach. We have now had about for people yell out at us about something to do with Mormons. Most of them were on drugs or drunk. We actually had a guy essentially tell us we are going to Hell because we didn't give him a dollar. Yup. It's a good time though, we just laugh it off!

There is also a member family that lives here that moved here from my first ward. So that was kind of weird to see them. They are in our area, which is kind of cool!

Our district is awesome too. I ended up in the same district as Elder Keeler, who was in my MTC district, and somehow we are the two missionaries with the most time on the mission out of everyone in our district. Nobody has been out more than a year. So that was kind of surprising! But we are all young and excited, so it should be a good time!

Umm... Yup. Nothing much more to report. Oh, one of our investigators, Luis, came to church and kept falling asleep and snoring. To his credit, it WAS stake conference, so I don't really blame him ;) So that was awkward/funny!

I learned this week that as people, we function best when we don't worry about what we are doing. Essentially, if we are confident in ourselves. Naturally, we should care about our own actions and if they are right, but I don't believe that self-doubt is anything more than a ploy of the devil. So challenge: do one thing this week that nobody else would be silly enough to do. And then don't doubt yourself for doing it! Ready... GO!

I love you all! Thanks for taking the time to read about a little curly haired missionary chilling in Cali. Have a good week!


Elder Poulson

Elder Poulson & Elder Lee (Bry's new comp)







No comments:

Post a Comment